- Gain a better understanding about what it means to be a manager of a dairy farm and being an entrepreneur.
- Learn everything about farm management, economics and key performance indicators to assess financial and technical dairy farms.
- Study at a university of applied sciences with a long history of agriculture and specialization in agrifood and entrepreneurship.
- Our lecturers work in close collaboration with organizations and experts in the field.
Dairy farm management, economics and housing of dairy cattle
- Education type
- Certificate course
- 1 month
- Field of interest
- Animal sciences
- Field of interest
- Food sciences
If anything, today’s dairy farmers are entrepreneurs. A farmer’s farm is his life, but at the end of the day, what matters most is being commercially viable and therefore sustainable. This means setting objectives, implementing, monitoring and evaluating activities, and adjusting where necessary. In our certificate programme Dairy Farm Management, Economics and Housing of Dairy Cattle, you will learn how to manage a farm like an entrepreneur and turn it into a profitable agricultural company.
Why this programme?
- Location: Dronten
- Education type: Certificate course
- Duration: 1 month, full-time
- Language: English
- Start date: 10 February 2020
- Application deadline EU-students: 10 December 2019
- Application deadline NON-EU-students: 8 July 2019
- Tuition fee: €3.750,-
In this programme, you will focus on what it means to be a manager of a dairy farm and being an entrepreneur instead of a farmworker doing only routine tasks. Being a manager means being able to use the ‘management cycle’. You will learn how to set objectives, implement activities, monitor and evaluate these activities and adjust where necessary if your objectives are not achieved.
Vital to the management cycle is keeping precise records. This is why you will be learning to use precise farm recording systems to monitor performance of different aspects of a dairy farm, such as production, fertility, calf rearing and finances. You will use these records to calculate key performance indicators, which are used for benchmarking the farm and to evaluate and analyze performance.
Based on this analysis, you will learn to pinpoint weak spots on the dairy farm and make plans to improve these weaknesses. In addition, you will learn to work with standard operating procedures (SOPs) and to choose the right housing, as this has impact on fixed costs, labour efficiency, animal welfare and the environment.
Click here for specific content information.
- At least three years of work experience at bachelor’s degree level in the field of training
- A minimum score of 550 in the TOEFL English test or a formally recognised equivalent such as the IELTS (Overall score of 6.0) or IBT (79)
- The ability to formulate coherently in written English, and to have a vision of the chosen area of interest. Motivation letter writing is part of the selection procedure
- Strong motivation for success in the sector
- Team spirit and a flexible attitude in an international environment
On successful completion of the programme, you will be awarded a certificate.
At the end of the programme, you will be able to explain what is expected of a manager and to calculate variable costs, fixed costs, gross margins, net farm income and cash flow. You will be able to make a cash flow forecast, record all information on dairy farms. Also, you will be able to develop KPIs and benchmark these, develop plans for improving technical and financial performance, and develop budgets for development plans.
This programme is geared towards:
- Owners and managerial staff of private, public or cooperative dairy farms
- Dairy training institute staff extension workers
- Extension workers
- Staff of advisory services who deal with all management aspects of dairy farms.
Is this the programme you are looking for?
Get to know us; here you can read all about our locations, our mission and our values.About Aeres UAS
If you want to enroll in this programme, start your application procedure here.Apply now
Do you have a question or do you want more information? Our International Office can help.Contact us
When you are going to study abroad, it's good to know what to expect financially.Fees and funding