The first year consists of 4 modules:
Module 1: Equine Policy International
In this module, you will advise an organization on a current issue in the equine sector, such as doping in equestrian sports or identification and registration, in which business law, stud book policy strategy and intercultural communication are integrated.
Subjects in this module:
- Law and the international Equine sector: You will be able to understand the basics of civil law, its effect on the international equine industry, the relation between civil law and international trade agreements, the principles of a contract and its obligations, and settlement of disputes.
- Policy Equine Contagious diseases: You will be able to understand the risks of movement of livestock (horses) around the world and how this can be managed.
- Policy equine stud books and breeding: Provides you with knowledge of important issues in the genetics of horses on which the stud books make decisions and plan strategy. You will learn how strategies are formulated based on internal and external analysis.
- Research and writing policy statement: Gives you a notion of current and relevant equine topics and required abilities of policy-forming in a variety of equine businesses and organizations. You will be able to write and structure reports according to academic standards according to APA style, as well as present information from reports in an official and academic way.
- Training intercultural communication: You will know your own culture, can identify intercultural differences (based on theory). You will be able to deal with intercultural differences when dealing with people abroad. You will also be able to make an intercultural strategy for a company.
Module 2: Equine Market Research
This module covers the setting up and implementing of applied research in the international equine sector.
- Organizational behaviour: You will know how to influence individuals and groups in an organization, in order to improve the performance of the organization.
- Research methodology: You will learn about research design, research methods and techniques, Desk research, qualitative research, quantitative research, field research.
- Research quantitative methodology with Excel and SPSS: You will be able to use Microsoft Excel to process data and use statistics. You will know how to analyze and interpret data, using SPSS in the framework of qualitative research. You will be able to set up and conduct the principal forms of empirical research commonly used in the field of marketing and the agrifood or equine business, and to report the findings under supervision.
- Financial management 1: You will be able to make investment appraisal calculations to underpin investment decisions. You will also be able to identify the main sources of finance for a business and to discuss the advantages or disadvantages of each source of finance. You will know about the policies needed to control the working capital of a company.
Module 3: Advanced International Equine Entrepreneurship
In this module you will learn how to understand, analyze and develop a new equine business.
- Proof of proficiency
- Sales management: You will learn how to make a sales plan and how to give a sales pitch. You will also learn to focus on strategic and operational aspects of sales management. And you will know how to coach and motivate a sales team, sales skills and sales leadership.
- Creativity and Innovation management: You will be able to explain how modelling can be used to create innovative strategies based on internal and external analysis in an intercultural context. You will be able to use creative processes to develop innovations.
- Equine entrepreneurship: You will learn about the influence of sustainability on ‘equine’ businesses, related to aspects of the circular economy. You will be able to introduce sustainable aspects to new business possibilities of an equine company. You will understand and be able to describe the operational processes of goods and services, and the concept of productivity and how this is enhanced. You will understand how to approach projects and how to link global developments in operations management to the innovative strategic choices a company in international equine business can make. You will be able to prepare balance sheets, profit and loss accounts and cash flow statements, analyze financial statements and give an underpinned opinion on the importance of accounting conventions recording to new business possibilities of an equine company. You will be able to understand how new business models, such as CANVAS, work and how these can be applied to equine business practice.
- Report Writing & Presentation Skills: You will be able to write and structure reports according to academic standards according to APA style, as well as present information from reports in an official and academic way.
Module 4: International Business and Strategy
In this module you will learn how to develop a strategy for a business in the equine sector.
- Strategy and Change management: You will learn methods to analyze the strategic position of a company. You will learn how to make strategic choices and organize new strategies.
- International Business: You will develop competencies to analyze the environment of international business. You will obtain competencies in order to assess opportunities in the global market and will learn to develop a successful strategy for international businesses. You will learn how to organize transportation and deliver customs documents for international businesses.
- Financial Management 2: You will learn to draw up budgets and make reliable cost calculations for an organization. You will learn how to analyze financial information.
- Human resource Management: You will learn the role and importance of human resource management in organizations and will learn to define the major HRM activities. This course covers the subjects of recruitment, selection, training, retention and motivation, and the importance of HRM in the ever-changing work environment.